A Closer Look: Check out our Minelab Equinox 800 Metal reviews Detector
The product itself is not particularly new, but all Minelab Equinox 800 reviews, especially ones that come from professionals show that the device should not be overlooked if you’re looking for a powerful, high-quality metal detector.
There are hundreds of metal detectors on the market, however, most have more in common with toys than with a device that can actually help you find precious objects and metals that are buried deep underground.
Luckily there are also models that are designed to specifically cater to the needs of professionals, whether they are seasoned treasure hunters or archeologists. A prime example of these high-performance devices is the Equinox 800. The detector is surprisingly durable and comes with a plethora of advanced features that can help the user literally find a needle in a haystack.
Deriving from the Equinox 600 model, Minelab has taken a device that was previously created for individuals who have little experience in metal hunting and have packed in it all the tech that they had at their disposal. The result is the 800 model, which gives the user an unprecedented level of control over the detection process.
This having been said, we will not only look at what the model has to offer but also at how the feature that the manufacturers have integrated into it can actively help you find what you are looking for. We will also go through the accessories that the detector normally comes with.
What it means to upgrade from a low-tier device to a premium one?
Not all metal detectors are created equal, and most models that you can find on the market tend to be somewhat lackluster in terms of features. This is due to the fact that most of those who buy them don’t have any experience in hunting for metals.
Generally speaking, low-tier models usually only come with a basic discrimination feature, a waterproof detection coil and a small LCD screen that only shows the battery level and type of target. While these devices are great for those learning to use them, once you move to an advanced model you will have to learn how to use a completely new set of functions, such as multi-frequency scanning and soil-structure-dependent detection.
However, there are a few things that you should consider doing in order to get the most out of your new investment:
· Research and plan every detail
If you are looking for valuable materials such as gold, there are online geological maps that you may use in order to plan your route and increase the chances that you will find larger nuggets. On the other hand, if you are hunting for historical artifacts, you can look at old maps in order to find the sites of medieval settlements.
· Get a spacious carry bag
Ideally, you should look for a carry bag that can not only fit the metal detector, but also any digging implements, pinpointers, and headphones that you may want to use. Keep everything in one place so that you don’t have to get your kit back together every time you go hunting for treasures.
· Consider getting additional coils
Not many know the fact that most manufacturers make and sell several types of coils for their metal detectors. Most of the time, the ones that come with the device itself are great for general purposes, however, if you want to focus on finding objects of specific sizes or that are made from specific metals, then you may want to look for these accessory coils. These are easy to install and can make a big difference even attached to premium detectors.
The Minelab Equinox 800 – A metal scanner built for professionals
The Minelab Equinox 800 is the bigger brother of the 600 model which was developed in order to cater to treasure hunters who do not yet have enough experience for a premium model. This having been said, both devices have a large number of features that can make your life easier, however, the 800 offers much more flexibility in terms of modifying the search parameters.
Also, as a product, the detector comes packaged with a wide variety of accessories that are designed to make treasure hunting easier and more enjoyable.
How it feels?
The device weighs 2.96lbs and making it great for extended hunting sessions. Although your hand will get tired after a while, this is not due to the weight or the design, but because you will be swinging it around repeatedly. Minelab has improved the design of the coil, making it lighter, with better seals and they also added a more lightweight protective cover. This may not seem like much, but the less the lower half of the device weighs, the smaller the chances that you will have back or joint pain if you use it on a daily basis.
Also, the handle of the detector has an ergonomic design and is very comfortable. We loved the fact that it doesn’t start to dig into the skin after prolonged use and the slightly textured surface is great if your hands get sweaty. However, the strap that is meant to hold the device in place around your forearm can cause discomfort and chafing if you don’t wear clothing with long sleeves. Although this only happens if you sweat a lot and tighten it until it compresses your arm, it should be taken into consideration.
Overall, the design is great. The detector is lightweight, its grip is comfortable enough to hold for hours without any issues and the padding on the inner part of the arm slot is padded with a thin strip of foam.
How it performs?
In terms of feature decisions, Minelab seems to have taken the X-Terra and the E-Trac models and combined them into one device. The detector comes with a larger number of features that can be accessed using 12 buttons placed on the control box. All relevant information that comes from the detection coil is transmitted to an LCD screen and displayed simultaneously.
The Equinox 800 performs beautifully. It can easily detect objects while submerged in water up to a depth of 10 feet, and the Gold function can limit the detection coil’s frequencies to 20 kHz and 40kHz, which is extremely useful in areas with highly mineralized soils.
Also, the Ultra-Fast Wireless Audio feature works great with the included Low-latency headphones work great together and produce a clean sound that will help you concentrate on listening to even the faintest signals produced by the detector.
Generally speaking, everything works exactly as it should. Learning how to use all of the features can be difficult if you have never owned a premium metal detector before, but once you get the hang of it, it will become second nature.
This having been said, when it comes to maintenance, please keep in mind that the control box of the Equinox 800 is not detachable, and you should never try to disassemble it either. Trying to do this will not only damage the air-tight seal put in place by the manufacturer but may also break the wires which are as short as possible in order to take up less space.
- Lightweight – The device only weighs 2.96lbs, making it easy to handle for extended periods of time;
- Custom search profiles – Each detection mode offers two blank search profiles that can be customized and saved for future use, allowing the used to fine-tune the detection parameters of the device;
- 3-year warranty – Minelab offers a 3-year warranty for the detector itself and a 1-year one for the rechargeable battery;
- Variable operating frequencies – The operation of the device can be limited to 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20kHz, 40kHz, and also comes with a multi-frequency detection mode;
- Fast recovery speed and enhanced detection – The fast recovery speed of the product shortens the hunting time and the enhanced detection system allows the device to establish an Accurate Target ID, displaying the exact material that it has detected;
- Ultra-fast Wireless Audio system – The Equinox 800 supports wireless/Bluetooth headphones that have a low latency;
- Completely waterproof – The device can be used underwater at a depth of up to 10 feet;
- Additional accessories included – The package also includes low-latency wireless headphones that come in their own hard-shell case, a wireless audio module, a USB magnetic charging cable for the detector and one for the headset, an auxiliary audio cable, and a quick-start guide;
- Rechargeable battery – The Equinox 800 comes with a lithium-ion rechargeable battery;
- Great with mineralized soil – The ability to specifically set the detection frequency makes the detector great for finding metals in mineralized soil such as black sand. This makes it invaluable when looking for gold;
- Great for the beach or underwater use – All the components of the Equinox 800 are waterproof, so it can easily double as a diving metal detector, as long as you do not go deeper than 10 feet underwater;
- High customizability – The ability to set specific frequencies, and the high accuracy of the model makes it great for both valuable metals, as well as actual treasure hunting where you don’t know what you may find;
- All-in-one package – All the accessories that you need in order to immediately go hunting are included in with the detector. This also means that you don’t have to spend a lot of time looking for compatible headphones, quality USB cables carry cases;
- High-quality headphones – The headphones included with the Equinox 800 are surprisingly comfortable and durable. Furthermore, they do not produce any kind of background noise, even if you are in an area with intense radio activity such as near radio towers;
- Premium price – The Equinox 800 offers several advanced features that are not found in lower-tier devices, however, the price tag reflects the additional functionality. The model is suited for individuals who are willing to set a larger budget in order to get a couple of additional quality-of-life features;
- Nothing truly special – All the features of the detector can be found in other similar premium devices;
- The battery is built-in – Having a rechargeable high-capacity battery is great, however, the one on this device only comes with a 1-year warranty an is built-in, which means that replacing it can be difficult;
As most Minelab Equinox 800 reviews have shown, the detector comes with a large number of features and is made using quality materials. However, there is nothing to help the model stand over the crowd. The price of the product is fair and on-par with other metal detectors on the market, but so are its specifications and internals.
This having been said, the additional accessories are a nice touch and the rechargeable battery does mean that you get enough power to not need to carry disposable ones with you everywhere you go. Also, having custom search profiles at your disposal means that you can hunt for metals or treasure on your own terms, without having to rely on the factory settings of the detector.
The majority of Minelab Equinox 800 reviews argue that the model is by far one of the best metal detectors that are currently commercially available. We’ve put it to the test and the device performed exactly as we expected to. The detection coil is great for any type of material and the ability to specifically choose between several frequencies makes it ideal for pretty much any kind of scenario.
In terms of durability, you can hit it on rocks, on trees, you can take it underwater and it will work great. The manufacturer even went so far as to vacuum seal the control box in order to protect the internals from any source of external damage.
If you need a new metal detector and are ready to upgrade to a premium model, you should treat the Equinox 800 as an investment. It does cost considerably more than entry-level devices and is also a step above the price of medium-tier ones, but the amount of functionality and additional accessories that it offers will ensure that you won’t need to buy anything else for your treasure hunts.
You may also like: